Rocketbook's Handwriting Recognition OCR (Optical Character Recognition) allows you to transcribe and search your handwritten text. It has been one of the most highly requested features and we're excited to bring this capability to the Rocketbook app!
Check out our new features using this technology including Smart Titles, Smart Search, and Email Transcription. To turn them on, go to Settings > Handwriting Recognition OCR (if you're viewing this on your mobile device, tap here to directly turn on OCR)
For best results and to minimize character recognition errors, please print and write legibly. In our experience, OCR technology is not very friendly to cursive handwriting.
NOTE ON AVAILABILITY LANGUAGE SUPPORT: Handwriting Recognition OCR is limited to English and is available on the latest iOS and Android app versions.
- Quickly rename your scans with text wrapped between double hashtags on your Rocketbook page (ex: ## Rocketbook Team Meeting ## will automatically rename your scan to "Rocketbook Team Meeting")
- How to Use:
- Go to History > Settings > Handwriting Recognition OCR > turn on Smart Titles
- Write the desired title in your Rocketbook notebook between double hashtags
- Scan the page and tap Done
- The file name will be the transcribed text between the double hashtags
- Search your handwritten notes inside the app, so you can find the scans with the search term.
- How to Use:
- Go to History > Settings > Handwriting Recognition OCR > turn on Smart Search
- Scan a page and tap Done (make sure the writing is legible)
- Go to History and search a term on the page. Scans with that search term in the file name or in the content of the page will appear
- Embeds a full transcription of your scan inside your email, so you can find the email with the search term.
- How to Use:
- Go to History > Settings > Handwriting Recognition OCR > turn on Email Transcription
- Scan a page, tap Done (make sure the writing is legible), and send it to an email destination
- Check your email and you should see the transcription embedded there!
If you have any feedback, just send us a note to email@example.com.
NOTE ON PRIVACY: In order to transcribe and search your handwritten notes, the Rocketbook app requests read access for all OCR features and the ability to store the transcriptions on our secure servers for Smart Search and Email Transcription.
If you're uncomfortable with having us store your scans on our servers, please do not utilize Smart Search or Email Transcription. If those two features are turned off (we don't store scans if Smart Titles is on), the scans are stored locally on your device or in the cloud service you have sent your scans to -- they are not on our servers. Connections to cloud services are dictated by their APIs and they all use SSL encryption.